Are you stressed out? Making an appointment with our Edmonds chiropractic clinic is a good way to start relaxing more. After your treatment, though, there is still a lot you can do to keep up a healthy level of calm. Try making the following nutrients a bigger part of your diet, and you should feel more relaxed.
- Complex Carbohydrates: Carbs encourage the production of serotonin in your brain, a chemical that promotes a good mood. This can be accomplished with simple carbs, like candy and sugar, but complex carbs like whole grains are healthier and give you a longer-lasting effect.
- Omega-3: Omega-3 fatty acids keep your stress hormones down and prevent heart disease. Fish great sources of omega-3, particularly fatty fish like tuna and salmon.
- Vitamin C: Getting enough vitamin C is a good way to curb the hormones that cause you stress. Fruits are good sources of this vitamin, with oranges being a particular favorite.
- Magnesium: When you don’t get sufficient magnesium, you might experience headaches and fatigue. You can get your magnesium from leafy green vegetables, beans, salmon, nuts, and whole grains.
- Potassium: Is high blood pressure making your stress worse? If so, potassium is a great way to bring your pressure down. Potassium lowers your levels of sodium, keeping your blood pressure in check. Get your potassium from foods like bananas and avocados.
- Calcium: Calcium has been demonstrated to reduce anxiety, even combating the mood swings associated with PMS. You can get your calcium from dairy products.