A herniated disc is a horribly painful condition, the causes of which are often difficult to fully identify. However, there are a few risk factors that can be confidently linked to such a condition. If you want to minimize your own chances of getting a herniated disc, consider the following tips:
- Quit Smoking: Nicotine and other toxins in cigarettes prevent your discs from absorbing the nutrients they need to stay healthy.
- Get Regular Exercise: By strengthening your core muscles, you can build up your back’s resistance to spinal problems.
- Lose Weight: Additional weight in your gut apparently puts unnecessary strain on your lower back.
- Avoid Sitting for Extended Periods: The seated position is not ideal for your back. If your job has you in a chair for most of your day, take brief breaks every half hour or so to stand up and stretch.
- Get Regular Massage: Our Edmonds chiropractic clinic can help to watch out for the warning signs of herniated disks, and help you keep your spine healthy.