Our chiropractic in Lynnwood has discussed before how you don’t want to rest your back too much when you’re suffering from back pain. Your best bet is to keep your back gently active. Here is a series of lower back stretches that can help you do so. When used once a day, these stretches can do wonders to hasten the recovery of your back.
- Supine Hip Flexor: Lay face up on your bed so that one of your legs can dangle over the side. Hold this position for two minutes. Do one rep for both legs.
- Single Knee to Chest: Lying on your back, pull one knee up to your chest and hold it there. Do five reps for both legs, holding each rep for ten seconds. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE SUFFERING FROM KNEE PROBLEMS OR OSTEOARTHRITIS!
- Hamstring Stretch: Lying on your back, pull one leg up and hold it erect, pointed towards the ceiling. Hold your hands behind your knee. Do five reps for both legs, holding each for ten seconds.
- Lumbar Rotation with Flexed Knees: Lying on your back, bring your knees up with your feet on the floor. Allow your knees to fall to one side of your body and hold this position, letting the weight of your legs stretch your lower back. Then, switch sides. Do five reps for both sides, holding each rep for ten seconds.
- Glute/Piriformis Stretch: Lay on your back with one leg down and the other drawn up. Take your opposite hand and pull this leg across your body until you feel a good stretch. Do five reps for either leg, holding each rep for ten seconds.