The sooner you start taking measures against osteoporosis, the better your chances are of preventing this condition when you reach an advanced age. Even if you’ve already experienced bone loss in your spine, you can always avoid additional damage and possibly even reverse existing bone loss by heeding the following advice:
- Your bones consume nearly all of your body’s calcium. Get all the calcium you need with dairy products and leafy green vegetables.
- Vitamin D is crucial to allow your bones to absorb calcium. Your body produces the vitamin D it need with about ten minutes of moderate sun exposure, or you can get it from certain fortified foods.
- Make back-friendly exercises like walking, jogging, stair climbing, push-ups, and weightlifting a part of your regular routine.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking has been shown to cause bone loss.
- Limit your consumption of alcoholic beverages. Too much drinking causes bone loss.
- Be careful with fad diets. Many diets encourage you to limit your eating to the point where you are depriving yourself of the nutrients you need to maintain bone structure.
- You can benefit from regular chiropractic treatments. Consult NuStar in Edmonds to learn more.