Most people who suffer from back problems know how easily they can be paired with insomnia. Between the pain and the depression that often goes along with it, getting a good night’s sleep can be very difficult. You will want to take measures to overcome your insomnia if you want to facilitate your recovery. Here are a few drug-free sleep aids that often prove effective:
- Magnesium: Many insomnia cases can be attributed to a deficiency of this relaxing mineral. You can get more magnesium from foods like almonds, avocado, buckwheat, cashews, garlic, and shrimp.
- Valerian Root: This root might be able to reduce the amount of time it takes for you to go to sleep. It is most effective after two or more weeks of regular ingestion.
- Ginseng: People have been employing ginseng as a sleep aid for over two thousand years. Look specifically for American, Korean, or Vietnamese ginseng, and take one or two grams every day
- Lavender: This flower serves to slow down your nervous system and improve the quality of your sleep.
- Chamomile: A cup of this tea relaxes your muscles and improves your mood, both of which can be valuable when you are struggling with back pain.
For further help managing your back pain, consult our chiropractic in Edmonds.